Announcing #WakeUpWeightWatchers Take 2!
As many of you have seen, last week Weight Watchers announced their plans for growth to reach 10 Million members and grow $2 Billion dollars in revenue. Along with this plan? Offering free memberships to teenagers (ages 13-17) this upcoming summer.
Last Friday, we announced our plans to initiate a #WakeUpWeightWatchers Twitter Takeover to take place on Saturday.
Within the first hour, the hashtag was a Trending Topic on Twitter in the US and later that day, Weight Watchers was compelled to respond to our concerns with a statement.
It has been incredibly powerful to see our community of professionals and advocates for eating disorder, body positivity, Health at Every Size & the anti-diet movement come together to make a change and educate Weight Watchers on the repercussions this plan can have.
We are excited to announce Take 2 of the Twitter Takeover which will be happening this Thursday, Feb. 15th beginning at 8 pm EST.
Details & Tips:
- Utilize the hashtag #WakeUpWeightWatchers
- Make sure to tag @WeightWatchers
- Tag @Oprah, @DJKhaled & CEO @MindyGrossman in Tweets as well - as their spokespeople and stakeholders, they need to hear our thoughts too!
- Plan multiple tweets regarding the topic to go out within the hour to maximize our chances of Trending and spreading awareness
- If you cannot Tweet live, you can schedule Tweets via free management tools like Buffer or Hootsuite
- Feel free to create graphics/quote cards to share during the chat
- Engage with other content being posted with the hashtag
- Encourage your followers to share their thoughts
Some ideas of things you can Tweet about:
- What you wish Weight Watchers would consider in promoting this plan
- What makes it so dangerous for teens
- Things parents/teens should know before considering this program
- Why Weight Watchers is actually offering a free plan since it is only to make more $$$
- What this could mean for teens susceptible to developing an eating disorder
- How this plan could effect the self-esteem and confidence of young girls/boys
- The many other things teens should be spending their summer break doing!
- Anything YOU think they need to hear
If you are in for Take 2, and we hope you are, feel free to share the following Tweet (or a similar message) and/or the graphic attached to promote the takeover!
Join myself, @BALANCEedtc & many other #eatingdisorder, #HAES & #bodypositive professionals and advocates this Thursday evening starting at 8pm est. for Take 2 of the #WakeUpWeightWatchers Twitter Takeover to continue letting @WeightWatchers know what we think of their free #Teen program!
Keep the conversation going now until then, and lets plan to speak up with force Thursday! Spread the word & we hope to 'see' you on Twitter!