As many of you have seen, this past week Weight Watchers announced their plans for growth to reach 10 Million members and grow $2 Billion dollars in revenue. Along with this plan? Offering free memberships to teenagers (ages 13-17) this upcoming summer.
Their reasoning is to 'help the development of healthy habits at a critical life stage.’
We believe that we as professionals and advocates for eating disorders, body positivity, Health at Every Size & the anti-diet movement - we can and MUST shed a light on why this is so problematic!
BALANCE has planned a ‘TWITTER TAKEOVER’ campaign in which we plan to flood @WeightWatchers (and the general public!) with our thoughts on this dangerous plan. We’d like to call on both Weight Watchers & Oprah to listen to us and to consider rescinding this policy before it is planned to take effect next summer. We appeal to both Oprah & Weight Watchers to engage in a dialogue with the professional community and with the families & loved ones suffering from eating disorders that care very much about this issue.
We are hoping that if enough of us participate in this campaign, our #WakeUpWeightWatchers hashtag can become a Trending Topic and bring awareness to this issue. This is not meant to be an attack on Weight Watchers but a prime opportunity for education on the damages and repercussions of dieting, especially for teens.
Details & Tips:
- The main-time for our takeover: starting this Saturday February 10th at 12 PM eastern time & continuing thereafter (social media engagement can be up to 17% higher on weekends!)
- Utilize the hashtag #WakeUpWeightWatchers
- Make sure to tag @WeightWatchers
- Tag @Oprah in Tweets as well - as their spokesperson, she needs to hear our thoughts too!
- Plan multiple tweets regarding the topic to go out within the hour
- If you cannot Tweet live, you can schedule Tweets via free management tools like Buffer or Hootsuite
- Feel free to create graphics/quote cards to share during the chat
- Engage with other content being posted with the hashtag
- Encourage your followers to share their thoughts
Some ideas of things you can Tweet about:
- What you wish Weight Watchers would consider in promoting this plan
- What makes it so dangerous for teens
- Things parents/teens should know before considering this program
- Why Weight Watchers is actually offering a free plan since it is only to make more $$$
- What this could mean for teens susceptible to developing an eating disorder
- How this plan could effect the self-esteem and confidence of young girls/boys
- The many other things teens should be spending their summer break doing!
If you are in, and we hope you are, feel free to share the following Tweet (or a similar message) and/or the graphic attached to promote the takeover! We also have all the details in a blog post here: http://balancedtx.com/blog/2018/2/8/weight-watchers-twitter-takeover-are-you-in
Join myself, @BALANCEedtc & many other #eatingdisorder, #HAES & #bodypositive professionals and advocates this Saturday afternoon starting at 12pm est. for a Twitter Takeover to let @WeightWatchers know what we think of their free #Teen program! #WakeUpWeightWatchers
Please invite anyone else you’d think would be interested in participating! We hope to ‘see' you on Twitter!