A Body Positive Gift Guide
The Holidays can often be a difficult time for those trying to find peace with their food and bodies. Spread body positivity with some thoughtful gifts that can help spark self-love and body acceptance in your loved ones!
by: Kristin Burmeister
The gift giving season can be a great time to spread cheer and body positivity. There are many ways you can get body positive gifts for anyone on your list.
Here are few examples:
1. Recovery Jewelry: Jewelry items can be a helpful way to have a daily reminder to keep positive and stay committed to recovery making these items a great gift for a recovery buddy or anyone in your recovery support system. Etsy is a good place to find these items.
2. Body Positivity Books: There are a variety of great books with stories that are body positive or that are focused on helping people build up a more positive body image. Some examples are Body Positive Power by Megan Jayne Crabbe, The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love by Sonya Renee Taylor or Big Girl: How I Gave Up Dieting and Got a Life by Kelsey Miller.
*Warning: look into a book before reading/purchasing as some books can be triggering, if you find a book triggering at any point stop reading it!*
3. A Body Positive Mug: A mug with a body positive quote or image is a great way to help someone start each day with their favorite drink and a reminder to love themselves.
4. “You are beautiful” Products and Stickers: These products are all geared towards spreading positivity. The stickers are a great gift that keeps on giving since they are a nice item to give out to friends, family, and others who need a body positive pick me up.
5. Self Care Items: Self care items like lotions, bath items, blankets, or aromatherapy products are great ways to help someone have positive experiences with their body.
6. Yoga Products: Yoga can be a great way to connect with your body in a positive way. Yoga items, such as yoga mats, books, or videos, are great gifts to help others achieve body positivity.
7. A Body Positive Journal: Journaling can be a great way to process body image thoughts and keep body positivity in mind on hard days.
8. Body positive laptop stickers: Laptop stickers can be a daily reminder to a friend or family member to keep body positivity in mind. Redbubble is a good site to find stickers original and fun laptop stickers on.
9. Register to go on eating disorder awareness walk together: Awareness walks are a great way to remember body positivity and commitment to recovery. Organizations such as NEDA (National Eating Disorder Association) and eating disorder clinics often host annual walks that provide body positive activities. To find a walk near you go here.
10. Homemade Crafts: Some of the most meaningful gifts are the ones we make. A painting of your favorite body positivity quote or a collection of body positive notes they can put on a mirror can be a great way to spread positivity.
This post was written by BALANCE blog intern Kristin Burmeister.
Kristin is a graduate student studying social work at Case Western Reserve Universtiy. Her own recovery journey inspired her to want to help others who struggle with eating disorders. In the future, she hopes to work as a clinical social worker with a focus on eating disorder treatment.